The ongoing process of growing and developing in the tradition, spirit, and spirituality of St. Vincent de Paul.
- Formation appeals to the whole person: heart, mind and soul. It leads a person to a way of life, and supports our call to grow in holiness.
- We need to presence Christ to others, especially the Christ whom St. Vincent de Paul so identified himself with: Jesus Christ, the Evangelizer of the Poor.
- Like the disciples caught by a storm at sea, the constant changes in our lives and those whom we are privileged to serve necessitate ongoing formation.
- There is a preference of many to want to serve, and we see little need for formation. We easily overlook the call to holiness.
- There is a strong dichotomy between ministry and formation/spirituality. People have difficulties making connections between the two.
- Many of us have had negative experiences of education, not conducive to adult ways of learning.
- Resources and opportunities for formation do not always reach everyone.
An excellent starting point for Vincentian Formation is this presentation by Fr. Dennis Holtschneider.