Before You Begin
You may be feeling a bit apprehensive about what you are about to undertake. However once you get started you will likely move past these initial concerns quickly.
You might like to start by looking at the Resources Page to help gain a greater understanding of the mentoring role.
The first time you speak with your mentee, you may want to tell them how you are looking forward to the process, why you decided to become a mentor, and what you are hoping to get out of it- a mutual supportive relationship which results in spiritual growth for you both.
After that, make it a point to respond to any mentee contact promptly. If you are unusually busy, please acknowledge their message, and say when you will be able to respond in more detail.
- To assist the mentee in his or her appropriation of the significance of experiences of ministry (e.g., He or she can eventually answer, “Why is this experience of ministry especially important to him or her?”);
- To expand the mentee’s understanding of a ministerial experience in light of Scripture, etc. mentioned above (in other words, these are lenses by which he or she can further interpret the experience);
- To familiarize the mentee with the process of “apostolic reflection” in the Vincentian tradition; (It is hoped that the mentee will eventually develop the skills to do this on his or her own and/or with others); and
- To help facilitate a process of discernment whereby the mentee can clarify future directions in ministry and areas of personal transformation (for mission effectiveness).
What Online Mentoring is Not
- Problem-Solving (either personal and/or ministerial)
Tips for Using ooVoo Video Chat
Try a practice meeting with a friend to familiarize yourself with the ooVoo control panels.
Prepare Your Desktop
Turn off any alerts and applications that might be distracting, such as instant messaging or email notifications. Have any documents you want to share easily accessible.
Be Ready A Few Minutes Early
Greet your guest as they arrive and take a minute to adjust your own audio and video setup.